Friday 10 May 2013

My emotions change from day to day. I wake up , take a few minutes to reflect on my day and decide i am going to have a peace filled day. Two hours later all hell has broken loose inside my head. I have become angry, i have become a victim again.. how did my serenity extinguish so quickly? Habit.. that's how.

I am not a young man and have had years of reacting to situations the best way i know how. Some reactions are positive but others are very destructive to my well-being.
Habits formed over years have carved very definite paths in our brain and when a certain stimulus is perceived the same reaction is "fired". My defense mechanism is often quite aggressive  i feel aggrieved that somebody could say or think such and such about me. In truth we know within ourselves that our reaction can be changed with awareness, practice and patience. The point is that it takes an effort on our side to arrest the default behavior and seek out a more healthy response to the stimulus. This effort will begin to hinder the reflex path ingrained within our brain and a new, healthier path will begin to develop.
This effort to change the way you actually think, literally, will be the most difficult and rewarding thing you have done. It will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment